Re: Replacing systemd in Jessie

On 12/03/2014 at 07:43 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 05:15:36PM -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Nov 2014, Chris Bannister wrote:

>>> Nothing is final yet, jessie is still a moving target IOW not
>>> yet stable, so not just semantics.
>>
>> Yes.  Semantics.  Jessie not being Stable doesn't make Testing any
>> less Jessie regardless of its state of development.
>
> Yes!!! Testing! Yay, we finally agree! \o/

So are you saying that you agree that the original statement that
"systemd cannot not be installed in Jessie" was accurate, because
current testing is jessie?

Because that's what we/I've been saying all along, and it's what the
post you're responding to said - but it's also what John Hasler's
original response (with which you seemed to agree) seemed to reject.

Back when I was, say, five years old, it would have been perfectly
accurate for someone to say of me that "[myname] cannot jump high enough
to touch the ceiling.", because I could not.

Today, that statement would be less than completely accurate, because I
can easily jump high enough to touch a standard 8- or 9-foot ceiling.

It's the same statement, and it still refers to me, by my name - but
it's not the same me in both cases, because I've changed in the meantime.

In exactly, the same way, it is currently accurate to say that "systemd
cannot not be installed in Jessie", in reference to current testing...

...even if it may no longer be accurate to say that after jessie is
released as stable.

It's the same statement in both cases, and it still refers to jessie, by
name - even if jessie changes in the meantime.

--
   The Wanderer