Re: Installing Debian on a SuperMicro server

Johann Spies wrote:
I am trying to install Debian on a SuperMicro server on two ssd's configured in the bios as a RAID1 (I think it is called a fake-raid).

Debian Stable does not recognize the disks at all.
Debian Testing's installation disk picks it up as a RAID1 device (even when I configure it in the bios as non-raid disks) and can install up to the stage where grub has to be installed. Grub does not recognise the RAID1 device but sees the two disks separately.

When I open gparted in Linuxmint 17 (live imaget) it complains when the disks are configured in bios as RAID1 but gparted sees the separate disks when it is configured as non-raid devices.

I am prepared to go the route of a software raid if necessary, but in the Debian installer that is only possible if the Debian-installer sees the disks as separate disks as Grub does.

Any suggestions for the way forward? Should I put a usb-stick in the server and install grub there?

Well, my first recommendation would have been turning off BIOS RAID - but that seems not to work for you. (I've been running SuperMicro servers for years, always turn off hardware RAID and rely on md - no SSDs though).

Did a little googling and found this: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataRaid - which recommends adding dmraid=true to the kernel boot line (see page for detailed instructions).

You might get some good advice on the linux-raid email list. Also, I've found the webhostingtalk.com forums to be a good source for product-specific knowledge on various servers - supermicro tech support is basically useless.

Miles Fidelman