Re: Replacing systemd in Jessie

On Tue 02 Dec 2014 at 18:37:04 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Brian wrote:

> >>Well, actually, it does involve a little more than downloading
> >>debootstrap, applying the patch, and compiling.  One has to build a
> >>custom copy of d-i to actually make use of it.  That's  bit of a
> >>complicated procedure.
> >Why does debootstrap have to be downloaded and a custom copy of d-i
> >built? Suppose the patch were applied to debootstrap in a running d-i.
> >Why wouldn't that be sufficient for testing?
> >
> >That's a straightforward technical question, incidentally.
>
> Also a straightforward technical question:  How would one actually do that?

I think I asked my question first. :)

> It looks to me like d-i starts up, then pulls in debootstrap and
> starts it running.  I've spent a little bit of time looking at how

Debootstrap only runs when the base system is installed. I assume it
runs whatever is in /usr/sbin and /usr/share/debootstrap. Now - what
happens if you alter these files before installing the base system?

> d-i figures out where to look for debootstrap, and got to the point
> of concluding that I either had to put the patched debootstrap in
> the repo (not going to happen) or build a customized d-i that looks
> for the patched debootstrap somewhere else.  That's the point at
> which I decided that, not being much of a c coder, I really didn't
> want to mess with things.
>
> If you have a straightforward suggestion, please....

Debootstrap is mainly a bunch of scripts. The patch is applied to the
scripts.