Re: Replacing systemd in Jessie

On 3 December 2014 at 01:36, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 12/02/2014 at 07:23 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> On 2 December 2014 at 18:05, Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You do have a choice, but ONLY after systemd is installed and the
>>> system is running.
>>
>> It will soon be possible to choose before installation. And always a
>> reboot is
>
> (I presume this was truncated somehow?)

Yes, sorry. Flat battery - resumed from Draft and missed that.

Should have been:-
And always a reboot is necessary after installation - so a
preseed/late_command will allow you to boot for the first time into
non-systemd system.

preseed/late_command="in-target apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"

A simple bash script makes rebuilding an install CD to include that
preseed parameter a simple - quick process for those that want to use
the GUI install option.

> Do you have a citation for this?

I'm glad you asked.
No - I "presumed" that amongst the "lots" of experts so opposed to the
late-command option, at least one of them would apply Kenshi's patch
(which apparently works) to d-i. Was my mistake an assumption that any
of them would do more than demand? (have any of them even, including
one of the noisier posters on this list who commented in that thread,
done any of the bug-tested he widely requested?)

<snipped>

> which sounds to me as if such a change is not going to happen "soon".

That I strongly suspect is correct - but not for the same reasons.

<snipped>

Kind regards

--
"Being cynical is the only way to deal with modern civilization — you can't just
swallow it whole" ~ Frank Zappa