Re: Replacing systemd in Jessie

Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014, Chris Bannister wrote:

[I've somehow deleted the other messages, so this one will have to do]

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 01:59:02PM +0100, Jochen Spieker wrote:
Patrick Bartek:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2014, John Hasler wrote:
Patrick Bartek writes:

It seems systemd cannot not be installed in Jessie.
You mean Testing.  Jessie has not been released.
Semantics.
Nothing is final yet, jessie is still a moving target IOW not yet
stable, so not just semantics.
Yes.  Semantics.  Jessie not being Stable doesn't make Testing any less
Jessie regardless of its state of development.

https://www.debian.org/releases/

   "The current testing distribution is jessie."

https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/11/msg00151.html

Aware of this from other sources, but mostly pointless now as
Testing/Jessie was frozen 5 Nov.  So, no major changes.  Maybe,
the release after Jessie will have the option to pick your init system.
Just be grateful the support for REPLACING systemd with sysvinit is
available and easy to do.

There are work-arounds for dist-upgrading to Jessie without installing
systemd as the init, but you'll still have systemd dependencies
(libraries usually) for software like GNOME3 or cups or udev to
deal with. And you'll have to be on guard that some app doesn't pull in
systemd in its entirety as the init. Work-arounds for that, too.  I'd
rather not have to deal with it at all.

As for me, Wheezy is working fine, and I have no plans of
dist-upgrading to Jessie, or even clean installing it other than as a
learning experience. I'm going to see what transpires with the release
after Jessie before making any decisions regarding my future use of
Debian.

Likewise, for me (and in some VMs Squeeze and Lenny are working just fine). I was waiting for Jessie to stabilize to upgrade everything, but I think I'll just upgrade everything to Wheezy and stand pat for a while.

I'm predicting (or maybe that's hoping) that Jessie proves to be Debian's equivalent of Microsoft Vista (with Wheezy as XP). Maybe, just maybe, sanity will return for Jessie + 1. (You heard it here first, folks.)

Miles Fidelman