Re: Effectively criticizing decisions you disagree with in Debian

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 23:34:41 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jo, 25 sep 14, 21:27:30, Joel Rees wrote:
> >
> > There is always that possibility. It's one of the reasons for the
> > old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen

Kaizen means "good change", not the first phrase that occurs to me, or
a lot of people, when thinking of systemd. Kaizen is a continuing cycle
of Plan/Do/Check/Act, with *small* increments. One point of "Check" is
see how people like it.

A Kaizen-like change would have been to replace a few things in PID 1,
requiring no changes to the kernel, and no collaboration with userland,
other than modes that were used by the old one. When that went well,
they could have added a few features, on and on, and everyone would
have been happy.

SteveT