Re: brasero requires gvfs

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 18:45:10 +0200
Slavko <linux@slavino.sk> wrote:

> Ahoj,
>
> Dňa Mon, 08 Sep 2014 13:14:01 +0100 Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk>
> napísal:
>
> > Some components of XFCE have a hard dependency on dbus (and this is
> > conceptually legitimate). dbus has a build-time-optional dependency
> > on libsystemd-login, and a quick experimental check on my system
> > confirms that the most recent version of the dbus suite, downloaded
> > in source form directly from the dbus website, can be built on Linux
> > without a dependency on libsystemd-login:
> >
> > $ ./configure --disable-systemd && make all
> > [gerbil spew from the build process elided]
> > $ ldd bus/dbus-daemon
> > 	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fffb59fe000)
> > 	libexpat.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1
> > (0x00007fb354c2c000) libpthread.so.0
> > => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fb354a0f000)
> > 	libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
> > (0x00007fb354665000) /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
> > (0x00007fb354e8a000)
> >
> > However, standard practice in Debian is "enable ALL the things", so
> > the dbus package in Debian jessie GNU/Linux systems is not built
> > with --disable-systemd, and so it Depends: libsystemd-login0.
>
> I did small investigation. The dbus seems only a half of problem,
> because there is the same dependency in the libpulse0 (no, i don't use
> pulse audio, but dependencies...) and a lot of my applications
> depends on it. I am afraid, that the number of packages which not
> necessary depends on systemd (and then depends on the init system)
> will be grow and i can simply end with another distro, where will
> need to recompile most of Debian packages without systemd support.
>
> I have no resources to maintain another Debian... Then it really
> seems, that here is a time to search another solution.

I've begun the research, and here's what I've come up with...

When Jessie goes stable, I'm actually going to try Jessie to see whether
it will work reasonably, and if so I'll hold my nose and use the
monolithic entanglement. But I have a bunch of plan B's if there's
problem:

1) Use Jessie, but use Daemontools to start, restart, control and
   monitor most of my daemons.

2) Use Gentoo. If that goes systemd, move to Funtoo.

3) Use OpenBSD, with a virtual machine running [Debian | Ubuntu] for
   the specific purpose of running Sigil and other stuff that won't run
   on OpenBSD.

I'm having trouble getting qemu to input from my keyboard in OpenBSD,
but that's a question for another mailing list.

SteveT