Re: brasero requires gvfs

On 09/08/2014 at 08:14 AM, Martin Read wrote:

> On 08/09/14 00:21, lee wrote:

>> On the Debian VM, it says that dbus depends on
>> libsystemd-login0, so how could I remove that without having to
>> remove xfce?
>
> You can't.

Well, you could 'apt-get source' the package which declares the
dependency, modify it to build without that dependency, remove the
declaration from the package's control file(s), build the package, and
install the locally-built package - but then you'd have to keep up with
updating it every time a new version came out in Debian, which would be
a royal pain. (I know - I've tried it, with other software, once or
twice. It never worked well, or for very long.)

> And thus, you see the central tradeoff of binary vs. source
> distributions. In a binary distribution, the pain entailed in
> coping with combinatorial explosion means that even if a program
> *does* have a build system which allows extensive changes to which
> features get built into it, the distribution will probably only
> provide one configuration (typically, the most featureful, since
> "why does this depend on $LIBRARY_I_HATE?" is a rarer complaint
> than "why does this exclude 75% of the featureset?") out of the
> myriad possible configurations.
>
> In a source distribution, the end user has the freedom to configure
>  their builds how they please. On the other hand, they need a much
> more extensive understanding of their system, and they have to
> devote more labour and computational resources to building their
> system.
>
> Perhaps you should consider this option.

<snip>

>> This bug just shows again how systemd is taking everything over,
>> which is a bad thing.  Systemd has become a single piece of
>> software for a very limited purpose without which more and more
>> totally unrelated software for totally different purposes isn't
>> going to work anymore. That's like you're required to have,
>> let's say, MS Windows installed on your hardware to be able to
>> use it.
>>
>> Others have said this before.  I finally realise what they mean.
>> Why aren't all distributions standing up against this but
>> instead embrace it?
>
> Last time I looked, systemd was not the default init system in
> Gentoo. I believe that they even facilitate the use of alternative
> /dev managers in place of systemd-udevd.
>
> Perhaps you should investigate this approach in more detail; you
> seem to have a legitimate and praiseworthy requirement for a higher
> level of control over what runs on your system than a binary
> distribution can realistically provide.

I've been running Debian since I first switched from Windows (98SE) to
Linux, I think sometime around 2001. (I actually thought it was earlier,
but I remember 2001/09/11 happening while I lived in a place before the
place where I lived when I switched to Linux.)

In all that time, I've never seriously considered running a different
distribution. I've tried out a couple for one reason or another
(including work purposes), but never seen enough relative advantages to
potentially justify a switch, although Gentoo always seemed interesting.

I am now seriously considering switching to Gentoo. I will at the very
least be building a Gentoo machine to try out its current incarnation,
and see what the differences and/or downsides may be for myself. The
systemd transition - and specifically the dependencies involved, and the
attitudes of the maintainers towards those dependencies - are pretty
much the entire reason.

I even *like* what systemd is apparently capable of doing, in terms of
practical results. I just don't like its design, or its project
philosophy, or the attitudes (in terms of relation to other software,
and in a few cases to other people) of its developers.

With a few relatively fundamental changes relatively near to the core of
the systemd project, 99% or more of its problems could be eliminated,
and I'd probably be not only willing but glad to use it. But the odds of
those changes being made - at all, much less just because someone asks
for them - are so slim as to be virtually nonexistent.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.