Cannot use "line in" of USB CM106 Like Sound Device on 32 bit debian testing.

  Dear list,

I have a problem that does NOT occur on 2 of my machines (a new 64 bit laptop with Debian testing,
and a 64 bit desktop with Ubuntu 14.04) but DOES occur on my 32 bit laptop that also runs Debian testing.
All machines are fairly clean, the 32 bit laptop is freshly installed yesterday.

The problem occurs with an external USB audio device from Sweex, with a CM106 chip.
  (Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0d8c:0102 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM106 Like Sound Device)
Outputting sound via headphones or speaker plugs work OK.
Also, inputting via the microphone input works OK.

BUT, inputting sound via "line in" does NOT work (on the 32 bit machine).
The Sweex device has a "mic mute" switch and a blue led the which indicates the mic-mute-state.

Now if I select "line in" (via pavucontrol or alsamixer) , then the blue "mic mute" LIGHT is turned on,
and CANNOT be turned off with the "mic mute" SWITCH on the device.
And there is no signal from the device.
This does not occur on the other PC's.

It is not very likely that it is a hardware problem, but what else could it be?
Is there any test that I can perform?
I really am at a loss.
Hopefully someone can give me a pointer.

   Thanks in advance,
       Sietse

PS. Although I hear from several sides that it is suppose to work I cannot find	the CM106 device on this side.
       http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-C-Media
    But	that could easily be out of date or unmaintained....