Re: End of hypocrisy, beginning of reason

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 00:20:56 -0700 (PDT)
Rusi Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a basic question: I want to migrate to systemd [reasons below]
>
> However...
>
> 1. I see on this list itself evidence of breakage

No doubt about that.

> 2. Ive experienced some myself and I could only guess that it was a
> systemd issue until it was pointed out by Michael that it is probably
> a mismatch between sysv and systemd.  However given that people are
> getting totally unbootable systems, I's just being a bit careful.

One good reason is having a mount in your /etc/fstab for a removable
medium which may not be present, but if present, will be mounted at
boot. That's a no-no under systemd, and will stop the show.

> What I want is a process where something can be tried out (gingerly)
> and reversed or fixed-in-concrete depending on results.
>
> Ive seen some things about trying out by giving systemd at the grub
> line.

Yes. This can be done for one boot only.

> Im already seeing systemd in mount:
>
> systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,name=systemd)
>
> However aptitude dist-upgrade shows me:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   graphviz{a} rsyslog{a} sysvinit-core{a}
>
> And a 1/2 GB worth of packages to be upgraded including systemd
>
> So I am a bit jittery about going ahead -- removing sysvinit-core
> seems a hard step to reverse :-)

No. You can still boot on sysv without sysvinit-core (!). After the
removal of sysvinit-core, you still have to make the deliberate change
to systemd booting.

> >From a more theoretical/computer science pov:
> Why I (for whatever its worth) think systemd is (could be) a good
> idea:
>
> Declarative is invariably better than imperative though it can be
> hard to get right at first. And systemd tries to be more
> declarative than sysv.
>
> Whether it succeeds is a different question ;-)
>
> How to make it succeed (with minimal pain) is what I am asking...

I have a sid with 4000+ packages booting on systemd, and the journal is
quite messy. Having built a copy of it using --get-selections and
--set-selections (and *that's* not as easy as it used to be) I get a
cleaner log, so it seems to be the case that an installation using
systemd from the start (minimal wheezy, upgrade to sid, upgrade sid to
systemd, then pour in the rest of the system) is a bit more stable than
one which is switched over. I also took the opportunity to merge /usr
into /, and I've no idea whether this has improved anything.

But apart from incomprehensible warnings in the log, some of which also
occur in the new system, there isn't much change in behaviour. I had
hoped to be rid of an occasional kernel panic during shutdown, but this
still seems to be present. I'm not aware of anything not working, but I
very rarely print anything from this system, and there are a lot of
cups and colord messages in the log.

--
Joe