Re: /dev/random5

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 03:45:48 +1000
Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

> Yes, but the method of encryption used (aes-xts-plain64) does NOT
> lend itself to this kind of analysis.

Not that we know of…

XTS doesn't seem to be a right choice:
http://sockpuppet.org/blog/2014/04/30/you-dont-want-xts/

> btw aes-xts-plain64 (for 2TB+ sized drives) is the default for
> version 1.6.0 onwards, but Debian stable is using version 1.4.3 at
> this time.
>
> Just don't use defaults; case in point is using the CAST5 cipher
> for symmetric encryption with gpg ... what a joke that default is!

You're right, some packages really have strange defaults.

In my diversion of the encfs thread, I forgot to mention
that a real (exhaustive) FAQ about crypto + a forum (where
you don't get dismissed) would be a very good thing.

--
* gael thinks he's developing a tonsillitis…
<Mwyann> in which language?