Re: Can't force unmount device

On Mon, 26 May 2014 08:57:49 -0700 (PDT)

> Not actually sure what version I'm using. I mount the share using:
>
> $ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.5:/volume1/DiskStation /mnt/RemoteDisk

That doesn't say much indeed. What about 'mount' output? It should show
really long list of parameters for any NFS mount similar to:

(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vers=4.0,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,namlen=255,soft,proto=tcp,port=0,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=krb5,clientaddr=foo,local_lock=none,addr=bar)

> Is there something else i should be doing? Is using "umount -l" a satisfactory way to solve this?

Well, it's a hack. 'umount -l' doesn't really unmount filesystem for
those processes who are using mountpoint in question. It's all other
processes (including those who do suspend) are forced to believe that
"there's nothing mounted in there, move along".

So, while 'umount -l' keeps NFS mount mounted, it:

1) Will unmount by itself once all processes who are holding it are
gone. This may take awhile, of course.

2) This does not prevent you from mounting the same NFS share again
into the same place.

Reco