Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments [somewhat off topic]

On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 17:33 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 07:54 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I want a new "task-jwm-desktop" to be written.
>
> JWM isn't a desktop environment, it's a window manager only. To provide
> such a meta package for JWM would be more controversy, than it already
> is for Xfce. For example, Xfce has got it's own terminal emulation, but
> Jwm doesn't provide it's own terminal emulation. It might make sense to
> provide xfce4-terminal or roxterm for such a JWM meta-package, but many
> people perhaps think that something lightweight as JWM, provided by a
> meta-package, by default should come with xterm. What file manager is
> appropriated for JWM? ROX filer? Rodent? Thunar? Assumed Thunar would be
> appropriated, with or without installing GVFS?
>
> Etc. pp..
>
> 2 Cents,
> Ralf

PS:

What software should be responsible for the wallpaper?

What's the better choice, the one I made for my Debian install
(/mnt/debi386/) or the one I made for my Arch install (~/)?

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /mnt/debi386/home/rocketmouse/.jwmrc
[snip]
  <StartupCommand>
  Esetroot -m /usr/share/wallpapers/Grass/contents/images/1280x1024.jpg
  </StartupCommand>
[snip]

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat ~/.jwmrc
[snip]
  <StartupCommand>feh --bg-scale /home/rocketmouse/.customization/dark_cartoon_art-modified-1152x864.jpg</StartupCommand>
[snip]

I don't want to decide what "sane" default software for JWM usage could
be. Some people want to get something close to a bloated DE, other's
want to be closer to a tiling window manager when using JWM.

Keyword: self-responsibility