Re: Question about wheezy-backports

On Lu, 05 mai 14, 04:05:28, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If one is watching for new packages it also makes sense to clear the
> > list from time to time:
> >
> > aptitude --forget-new
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I stored "~N" in my memory but I've never
> tried it even though I've often wondered about it... The "forget-new"
> verb clears up my question(s). By the way, it's "aptitude forget-new",
> without the hyphens. I'd never noticed this option before!

Oh, thanks for spotting it, I wrote that from memory (shame on me).

> I don't understand why you wouldn't want to restrict the search to
> wheezy-backports. If the OP only wants to see new wheezy-backports
> packages, why should his search be cluttered up with new wheezy,
> wheezy-updates, and wheezy/updates packages?

Personally I don't care, it's up to the OP, but as far as I'm concerned
the additional filtering is not worth the effort.

On my stable install where new packages haven't been cleared in a while
(179 in total) I have only 2 new packages that do *not* come from
backports (icedove-l10n-hr and icedove-l10n-hy-am).

Actually I'm quite surprised about these two even showing up, given that
for Debian "stable" means "not changing", but I can understand why they
were allowed anyway:

$ apt-cache policy icedove
icedove:
  Installed: (none)