Re: Dualboot: Strange behavior

On 04/05/14 17:07, Klaus Jantzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I successfully installed Windows 7 and Wheezy on my DELL laptop E6530.
>
> As I do not use WIN7 very often and really don't look at the GRUB menu
> when starting my machine as Wheezy is supposed to start automatically,
> I discovered only two days ago, that the  WIN7-entry of the GRUB menu
> has "disappeared".
>
> I checked the partitions and everything looked OK.
>
> With the "BootRepairDisk" (could not live without it) I recreated the
> GRUB menu and now I see Wheezy and WIN7 again and both work as expected.
>
> How could something like happen?
> Could an update of Win7 or Wheezy do something like that?
>
> Does anybody have a similar experience?

Hi Klaus

this is the other Klaus here :-)

I don't know a direct answer to your "How could it happen?" question.
Grub "knows" about other OSes through os-prober. When you run
update-grub, then the script /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober is invoked,
searching for other installed OSes. Unless, that is, the variable
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER is set to true (for instance in
/etc/default/grub). So, things to check on your box are:
$ whereis os-prober
$ apt-cache policy os-prober
$ grep PROBER /etc/default/grub

Any clues?