Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Sat, 5/3/14, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments
 To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
 Date: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 10:49 AM

 On Sat, 3 May 2014 07:45:40 -0700
 (PDT)
 Go Linux <golinux@yahoo.com>
 wrote:

> > On Sat, 5/3/14, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >  Subject: Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments
> >  To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >  Date: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 8:14 AM
> >
> > I LOVE, and sorely miss, Gnome2's use of
> >  nested drawers in panels.

> > ????  I have entries in the XFCE panel that pop
> open to multiple
> > launchers just like Gnome 2's drawers.  Maybe
> you're talking about
> > something else?

 > But the key distinction between multiple program Xfce launchers and
 > Gnome 2 drawers is that you can't include a launcher as one of the
 > items in your launcher (can you???),

I'm not in XFCE right now (on Squeeze/Gnome 2) but I'm pretty sure that I have custom launchers within a launcher.  Give it a try!

 > but you can put Gnome2 drawers inside of other Gnome2 drawers.

Didn't know that.  I always found the Gnome 2 panel launchers slow to open and kind of clunky.  I imagine nested drawers would be even slower.  XFCE opens the 'drawers' much faster.  Will soon FINALLY move to wheezy on my production machine via refractasnapshot and refractainstaller.  It's all pimped out and ready to go on another machine . . .