Re: Laptop pads: was Weird random reboot -- thinkpad x220

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
On Fri, 2 May 2014 12:54:24 +1000
Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:

> On 5/2/14, Ivan Kovnatsky <sevenfourk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Unrelated, but how do you find the trackpad? I completely disabled
> mine in BIOS, since the "textured bumps" on it make the pointer (even
> at extreme settings) useless for fine mouse work - I could not make it
> work in non-extremely-annoying way.

I'll go one step farther and say I *hate* the pads on most laptops.
Being a touch-typist, I don't pussy-foot around the keyboard, I hammer
it, and invariably my wrists or the heels of my hands tweak the
mousepad and doubleclick it or move off the field I'm filling in or
something. So I usually disable my mousepad. The following shellscript,
called "touchtoggle", toggles the pad on and off:

#!/bin/bash

curstate=`synclient | grep -i TouchpadOff | sed -e"s/.*= //"`
if test "$curstate" = "1"; then
        synclient TouchpadOff=0
else
        synclient TouchpadOff=1
fi

I always hook that shellscript to a hotkey, so I can instantly toggle
the state of the pad: off for general typing, on when I simply MUST use
the pad.

That's a nice script. I think I want to try it out sometime.

Also, in every carrying case for every laptop, I carry a trusty
Logitech M310 wireless led mouse. These mice are shaped well, have
enough sensitivity to be "fast enough" even with LXDE, and the scroll
wheel is stiff enough and its rotational clicks are discrete enough
that middle clicking can be done without fear of turning. So, unless
I'm trying to work where there's no table, I just use a regular mouse.

Heh. I put my wallet in my front pocket, and that is usually flat enough to use an IR mouse, even standing up. No table.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.