Re: Upgrade debacle........

On Fri, 2 May 2014 14:45:01 -0600 Paul E Condon sent:

> On 20140501_1337-0500, Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
> > Chris Bannister,  1.05.2014:
> > >
> > > Did you read my bug report?
> > > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=742875
> > >
> > > Was it the same package that caused the messages?
> > >
> > > Although, I didn't state it explicitly, I thought the message was
> > > a bit of a "cop out" like yourself¹. But to top it all off it
> > > asked me to run a command which didn't even exist on my system,
> > > as though I was expected to jump through hoops myself. Also,
> > > considering that I don't even know what this gdk-pixbuf-2.0
> > > program is for, (I've never messed with it.) I thought that maybe
> > > my setup uncovered a bug in the upgrade process (after all,
> > > remember we are running testing -- helping the project to test
> > > for bugs and reporting them when we do find them.) since I don't
> > > run a DE, and maybe hicolor-icon-theme expects one.
> > >
> > > I reported that bug a month ago, not even an acknowledgment from
> > > the maintainer. It looks like it hasn't even been looked at. Now,
> > > from what you have posted regarding booting problems (I'm not
> > > even sure if I've rebooted myself since then -- unfortunately I'd
> > > have too many things to restart to test it at the moment -- but
> > > if I did, I'd raise the bug level.) Hence the reason I asked if
> > > could add anything to it. Was it even caused by "Processing
> > > triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1)"? If not, then add that
> > > also.
> > >
> > > ¹ I mean that you think the same! NOT that you're a cop out! :)
> >
> > I run sid and saw the same warning when updating in early March.  I
> > know when it happened, because I copied the message into a file as
> > a note to myself but then forgot to look at it!  It was for the
> > same version of hicolor-icon-theme, 0.13-1, according to my note.
> > I've updated the system several times since then, but
> > hicolor-icon-theme is still 0.13-1, which is the latest version
> > available.
> >
> > I also tried
> >   apt-get install --reinstall hicolor-icon-theme
> > to see if the message would appear again now, but it didn't.
> >
> > At the time, I didn't check to see if the file
> >   /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
> > existed.  I also didn't run the command
> >   gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
> > > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
> > > However, I checked just now and that file exists, with a non-zero
> > > size.
> >
> > So either the original warning about the missing file was
> > incorrect, or the situation righted itself since.  I see that I
> > also don't have any packages which provide
> > gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders, so it's unlikely that an update ran that
> > behind the screens.
> >
> > One thing I noticed, is that the warning message you reported
> > begins with (gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0:28805)
> > as does mine, except for the number at the end.  So I suspect that
> > the original problem was with gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0 doing
> [...]

I case it hasn't been fixed at the source and you missed it Paul. Ralf
put it right for me, but my system was more damaged than yours for some
reason?Probably my system was a little too lean and mean. So I had to
install:

libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev

And then run this command:

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

But you may not need to do this to get sound working. It may be a
last resort sort of fix?

Be well,
Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor
	even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live
	according to its dictates a life of simplicity, independence,
	magnanimity, and trust. It is to solve some of the problems of
	life, not only theoretically, but practically. .........Henry
	David Thoreau