Re: Upgrade debacle........

On Thu, 01 May 2014 22:56:12 -0400 The Wanderer sent:

> On 05/01/2014 02:37 PM, Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
>
> > At the time, I didn't check to see if the file
> >   /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
> > existed.  I also didn't run the command
> >   gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
> > > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
> > > However, I checked just now and that file exists, with a non-zero
> > > size.
>
> I've seen this several times myself.
>
> My experience seems to suggest that during the course of upgrading
> some packages, this 'loaders.cache' file temporarily does not exist,
> and later in the process this command gets automatically run and the
> file re-created. At some point in the middle, however, something which
> expects the file to exist gets run, and when it doesn't find the file,
> that error gets printed.
>
> IOW, as long as the file exists after the apt-get or dpkg run has
> completed (which it always has in my experience), this appears to be a
> false-positive warning.

In my case, the file, "loaders.cache" existed and was empty. I even
created the directories and file for i386. But it didn't work either.
Not knowing what the file should contain, also didn't know what should
be written into it.

The reason of course was that there were some packages not installed to
make the command work.

The libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev package for pixbuf seemed to contain what I
needed to install the command. I'll have to keep that in mind in the
future.

I don't generally install development files, as I don't have the
knowledge to develop anything, and I don't generally just like
installing things that might do the trick. I like to keep my system
reasonably lean and mean.

Interestingly not having the correct application, it affected more than
just the icons, which I could have lived with till I worked it out. It
also emasculated Claws-mail which I prefer and is my only mail program.

Usually just worry at a problem till I find the solution, but because
it emasculated Claws-mail and I use email extensively, it was a bit
more of a pressing problem. But things like this do happen at times,
when something oft used goes belly up and some help is appreciated to
get it working.

Be well,
Charlie

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all
	things, we require that all things be mysterious and
	unexplorable, that land and sea be infinitely wild, unsurveyed
	and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. ..........Henry
	David Thoreau