Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Fri, 2 May 2014, Bret Busby wrote:

Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 15:58:00
From: Bret Busby <bret@busby.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

Hello.

I have tried to install Debian 7.4 amd64 from the xfce live disk, and the installation failed; it could not find two of the mirrors, and when it came to the bootloader, it gave an error message like "Could not install GRUB in /target", and the installation ended up failing.

With Debian 7.5 having been anounced as released, I have looked for an xfce version, and could not find one; the latest xfce version that I found, was 7.4.

What I am wondering, is whether the Debian 7.5 installation disks, include the option during the installation process, for the user to select which desktop environment(s) the user wants to install.

Also, in case it is needed, is an installable firmware version of Debian 7.5, available with CD/DVD ISO images available, and, if so, does that provide for choosing which desktop environment(s) to install?

Thank you in anticipation for constructive assistance.

Hello.

I have just found the Debian 7.5 amd64 xfce CD 1 ISO, toward the bottom, on the web page for the Debian 7.5 amd64 CD ISO's.

Will download and try again.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale