Re: kernel upgrade

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 09:37:28PM +0200, Nemeth Gyorgy wrote:
> > For my set of circumstances, it is.  However, I neglected to take proper
> > note of yours.  You're using apt-get (etc.) and I tend to use Synaptic.
> > Clearly, behaviour is different in each case.
> >
> > Mea Culpa.
> >
> > With the meta-package installed on my system, Synaptic will pull in and
> > install the latest kernel, and run grub-config to update the boot
> > loader.  This result in making the new kernel the default, and demoting
> > an other kernel(s) installed.  Once I'm happy that the upgraded kernel
> > works as required, I can delete the old kernel(s), if I wish.  I usually
> > keep one older kernel available, 'just in case'.
>
> I have some machines which I administer remotely and some of them don't
> have GUI at all. Synaptic is not an option for me. Moreover, apt-get is
> faster :)

And I use aptitude from a terminal. Apt-get is useful when a lot of
packages need to be installed, otherwise aptitude has some features that
I'm more used to like 'safe-upgrade' and seems to work dependencies
better although slower. At one time it was the go to, but since I've
gathered that apt-get has been improved.