Re: The current enforced switch to Wayland (likely not for stable)

On Sb, 29 mar 14, 07:06:39, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> PS: JFTR:
>
> root@debi386:~# cat /etc/apt/preferences
> # /etc/apt/preferences
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release n=wheezy
> Pin-Priority: 400

What's the point of this (considering that the default priority for it
would be 500)?

> Package: *
> Pin: release n=wheezy-backports
> Pin-Priority: 300

This is not a good idea. While still lower than wheezy, this turns
backports packages into regular candidate versions. -backports is *not*
meant to be used like this, as there is no guarantee that some random
backport will work properly with another, they are only tested against
stable.

IMO it's better to stick to the default (which is 100) and only install
them with '-t wheezy-backports' (or the "force version" or how is it
called in synaptic).

> Package: *
> Pin: release n=jessie
> Pin-Priority: 200

Ok-ish

> Package: *
> Pin: release n=sid
> Pin-Priority: 100

Ok-ish.

I seems to me like your intention is to run stable, but with select
packages from either backports or testing/sid as needed. In such a case
I would rather recommend you remove your preferences file completely and
put:

    APT::Default-Release "wheezy";

In a file under /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ (or in /etc/apt/apt.conf).

Further on you should check your system for packages installed that do
*not* come from wheezy (apt-showversions or aptitude can do that) and
deal with them accordingly (downgrade by purge and install would be best
as a straight downgrade can be dangerous).

If, after performing these steps, a dist-upgrade run still proposes
strange things post the output of

apt-get --verbose-versions dist-upgrade

It would probably be a good idea to fully 'apt-get upgrade' your system
before even attempting 'dist-upgrade'.

As a personal comment/opinion, depending on how many packages you
install from backports vs. testing/sid, you might find it better to just
upgrade to testing or even sid instead of mixing.

Kind regards,
Andrei