RE: future data grow aticipation

Hi Rob,

>> I need to deploy a Debian virtual machine which will host an apache
>> website with a pictures database. That database will grow of course. ;-) My idea is to have a VM with 2 disks.
[...]
>> Supposedly I can now easily grow /var/www when I need more space. Right?
>> Just to make sure I have things right......
>> When I need more than the 1TB data I can extend the disk in my VMware
>> hypervisor to 1,5TB. Have Debian do a rescan of the disk (for instance
>> via a reboot of the machine) After that I do a pvcreate on the new free diskspace, then add it to the vgroup that holds the data and then add that data to the logical volume holding /var/www Right?
>> Of am I missing something? Is there a better / easier way?
>> Would adding another 1TB disk to the VM and adding that to the vgroup be a better scenario? That imitates the "physical word scenario" where people add an extra physical disk to a machine.
>> Plenty of examples for that on the net.

> I'm not sure which would be better, adding a new disk or extending the existing disk.  But I figured I'd recommend the use of system-config-lvm
-- it makes lvm operations pretty easy.

Looking at the info of that package it says:
System-config-lvm provides a graphical interface to the LVM tools (and related utilities, including fsck and resize2fs) which is good for non-emergency storage administration. It enables you to
 manage your logical volume and filesystem configuration with a few mouse clicks, and it prevents potentially- disasterous command-line mistakes such as reducing a logical volume size before
 reducing the filesystem contained within that volume.

It talks about a "graphical interface" and "a few mouse clicks". That sounds like I need a graphical desktop for this package. If so.... I cannot use it. I have no graphical stuff on my servers. A ncurses interface is no problem but it seems this tool is not that.

Bonno Bloksma