Re: Which ISO image to download ?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 03:17:36PM +0100, Hans wrote:

> You might need to use testing images before stable images, as stable might be
> too old for your computer.

Please _don't_ suggest using Testing as someone's first experience with Debian.
Unless the hardware is less than six months old, it's unlikely that any given Debian
stable release won't work with it fairly well. The exception is cuttiing edge CPU
chipsets and packages which absolutely require non-free firmware packages.

> I had this problem with a PackardBell notebook, which used kernel 3.2.0 for
> installation. This one did not see the network device (neither lan nor wlan).
> With testing and 3.13-1 this problem did not appear. Everything worked fine.

Firmware is sometimes problematic - installing firmware-linux-nonfree may often
resolve this - but clues will be given as part of the install.

For Wheezy, if you do have problems with kernel, you may find newer packages
in the wheezy-backports distribution.

> Maybe I should suggest to use at least a newer kernel for installer CD's to
> the installer team?

Please don't. The whole point of debian-stable is to remain stable through
the lifetime of a release.

All the best,

AndyC