Re: Security Implications of running startx from command line - was Re: Startx: was Great Debian experience

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 11:46:38AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 21 mar 14, 09:52:09, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> >
> > You can access the console X was started from even when the machine is
> > locked.
>
> Seriously? I'd find that to be a severe bug in the said locking
> application.

It's a feature of linux being multi-user. You come up to a machine
that's running Xscreensaver (et al.) change to another VT, login there
and start another X server. GDM can facilitate this with the Switch User
functionality, but it's perfectly normal behaviour even without.

If you don't want people terminating your X session from the console, I
think the best solution is to use a display manager, which re-uses the
VT, and to turn on DontZap.