Re: Great Debian experience

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:32:10 Ken Heard wrote:
> It never ceases to amaze me that there are people can get various
> iterations of Debian "working out of the box".  Ever since Sarge I
> have had no end of trouble either with new installations or upgrades,
> to the point that I dread every new iteration.  I would have switched
> long ago to another operating system except for the fact that every
> other one I looked at was worse.
>
> My latest experience was a new installation of Wheezy in a new box.
> It took me the entire month of January to get the OS and essential
> applications to the point where the machine became usable.  Yes it
> works, but so does a Ford model T.  For example I wanted to use LVM
> but the attempt broke the installer.  I still have not got sound working.
>
> So what is the secret?
>
> Ken Heard

I don't know Ken.
I came over to Debian from Ubuntu. The last Ubuntu release that I consider
good was 8.04. I went over to Squeeze before Wheexy became stable. The only
hassle I had was with the Broadcomm wireless drivers. When I updated to
wheezy, again the only hassle was with the wireless drivers. That took about
an hour.

I use the KDE desktop. Amarok is crap in Wheezy, so I use Clementine. I use
the system for at least twelve hours a day, and except for having to restart
the display manager every few days to keep Clementine from getting pissy there
have been no problems.

For the record, I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with 4G of memory, Debian
GNU/Linux 7.4 (wheezy).

Mike
--
Mike McGinn		KD2CNU