Re: Great Debian experience

On Wednesday 19 March 2014 11:25:44 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 14:31:46 -0400 (EDT), Steve Litt wrote:
> > I also unchecked the Debian Desktop selection.
> > Then I did the following:
> >
> > apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
> > apt-get install synaptic
> > apt-get install iceweasel
>
> I realize that this is too late for this install, but maybe it will
> help you next time.  Also, maybe it will help someone else.  Try
> this.  When you get the initial boot screen from the Debian
> installer, press F1 for help, then at the boot prompt type:
>
>    expert desktop=xfce
>
> and press Enter.  Do *not* uncheck the desktop selection in the
> tasksel menu during installation.  The installer will install the
> xfce desktop.
>
> There's more than one way to do this

Choosing XFCE from the beginning has already been suggested.    I
suggested choosing expert install and then choosing XFCE before being
taken back to the ordinary installation.  This also has the advantage
that you don't have to type startx every time you log in, because you
get a desktop manager.

But Steve, like many of us, prefers his own method.  Well, if we
weren't all individualistic rebels we wouldn't be here.  We would be
keeping company with the fenestral hordes.

Lisi