Re: Fonts providing emojis?

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum <bg271828@yahoo.com> wrote:
What Debian font packages provide emojis?

絵文字?

Come to think of it, have you looked at the emoji page on wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

At least, thats what i think they are. Ive seen messages with little rectangular boxes with "01f 44d" and "01f 1e7" in them, and some googling suggests these are thumbs-up signs and things like that. How doe i get these to display?

If you are talking about the Japanese e-moji, well, frankly, I've been tending to ignore them as substitute for the constructed emoticons like 8-*.

(Also how do i look these up? Literally. I google and get a bunch of random things, without very much work. If I know its some kind of font, what do i type? "01f 1e7 codepoint" or "01f 1e7 unicode" don't work.)

You might want to ask on the Japanese user list. If my brain kicks into gear, I may recall where they are defined and who has charge of them, beyond that they are mostly proprietary extensions of the JIS character space. It does seem like I recently read that some of them have been brought into the unicode set, so you might want to nose around in unicode.org's pages.

And, in fact, the wikipedia page I pointed at above has links to the ones that have been adopted into the Unicode standard.

But, of course, not all those rectangular character substitutions are going to be e-moji. In fact, hardly any of them are, statistically speaking.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.