Re: When fogetting assigned login name rather than password (and disabling root login)

On Lu, 17 mar 14, 08:43:24, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 17/03/14 04:44, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Du, 16 mar 14, 01:24:03, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> >>
> >> In the spirit of investigation I tried testing a few methods of
> >> disabling root login (there are likely other methods)
> >
> > AFAIK the installer uses 'passswd -l'.
> >
> > Kind regards, Andrei
> >

> Thanks for the information.
>
> >From man passwd (less sssss, same action):-

Thanks for spotting that.

> "Lock the password of the named account. This option disables a
> password by changing it to a value which matches no possible encrypted
> value (it adds a ´!´ at the beginning of the password).
>
> Note that this does not disable the account. The user may still be
> able to login using another authentication token (e.g. an SSH key). To
> disable the account, administrators should use usermod --expiredate 1
> (this set the account's expire date to Jan 2, 1970).

This means that I can drop my ssh key in .ssh/authorized_keys and 'ssh
root@hostname' if needed, which I find to be a good thing.

> Users with a locked password are not allowed to change their password."
>
> So "passwd -l" 'might'[*1] have the same effect as the second method I
> tried (in the post you refer to) which *does* stop the user rebooting
> into single-mode and logging in as root. The ways for a user to
> restore root logins in that situation are:-
> ;use rescue mode from the installer
> ;edit /etc/passwd using another OS
> ;append "init=$something" to the boot parameter
> ;(as the man suggests) login with ssh - provided you've set a token
> and don't have encryption (I'm not sure if I tried that and failed...).
>
> The method suggested there for administrators 'should' (I haven't had
> time to test it) have the same effect as "chage -E 0 root" which won't
> prohibit the user rebooting into single-mode and logging in as root.
>
> Kind regards
>
> [*1] untested, so I don't know if it adds the "!" to the start of the
> relevant line in /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow. I used /etc/passwd. YMMV.

I just did a stable install for a friend and decided to use the 'sudo'
setup (i.e. pressing Enter on the root password prompt in Debian
Installer). The results:

/etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

/etc/shadow
root:!:16146:0:99999:7:::

Recovery mode works as already demonstrated by Brian:

sulogin: root account is locked, starting shell
root@<hostname>:~#

Kind regards,
Andrei