Re: Here's how to make yourself happier OT in re systemd

On Vi, 07 mar 14, 14:17:47, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> To disable a service in this runlevel, rename its script in this
> directory so that the new name begins with a 'K' and a two-digit
> number, and run 'update-rc.d script defaults' to reorder the scripts
> according to dependencies.  A warning about the current runlevels
> being enabled not matching the LSB header in the init.d script will be
> printed.  To re-enable the service, rename the script back to its
> original name beginning with 'S' and run update-rc.d again.
>
> For a more information see /etc/init.d/README.

I stand corrected, and update-rc.d(8) also explains why:

    If  any	files  named  /etc/rcrunlevel.d/[SK]??name already exist
    then update-rc.d does nothing.  The program was written this way so
    that it will never change an existing configuration, which may have
    been customized by the system administrator.  The program will only
    install links if none are present, i.e., if it appears that the
    service has never been installed before.

However, 'update-rc.d <service> disable|enable', besides being shorter
and easier, also takes care of the other supported inits (currently only
upstart and systemd, OpenRC is work in progress). This way a daemon
disabled under sysvinit will stay disabled if you switch to something
else.

Kind regards,
Andrei