Re: Jessie almost freezes every several minutes

On 01/03/14 11:30 AM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 28/02/14 04:15 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Jo, 27 feb 14, 18:54:22, Gary Dale wrote:
I have a system with an FX6100 processor, 16G of DDR3 RAM, a 128G
SSD for / and a 5-drive RAID-5 array (for /home) with lots of free
space.
[snip system slowdowns]

Is that soft RAID? Try booting without it and see what happens.

Kind regards,
Andrei
Yes it is mdadm raid.

Because the /home is on the raid array, I had to create a new user without the array mounted. Things ran fine with the new user even with the raid array running (but not mounted anywhere). This also seems to rule out the noapic suggestion that Keith made.

I tried running with all my usual apps open but still couldn't trigger the slowdown. I booted back into my usual account and things slowed down again.

I shut down iceweasel and things seemed noticeably faster. I was still getting the solid disk light intermittently but it's didn't slow the system to a crawl. After restarting Iceweasel and restoring the previous session, things have continued to be speedy. The disk light is still coming on and staying solid for extended periods, but the system isn't slowed down.

The main i/o users currently are virtuoso-t and ext4lazyinit (occasionally jbd2 shows up), with virtuoso being by far the largest (and doing both read and write).

At this point I'm confused... But my system is speedy again after weeks of being frustratingly slow.

Spoke too soon. The problem is back and shutting down Iceweasel didn't fix it this time.