Re^3: Mutt: SSL Certificate check ... SASL

From:	Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
Date:	Sat, 01 Mar 2014 06:41:31 -0500
> Because that's how SSL/TLS works. If the server you're attempting to get
> to presents the wrong certificate, then it's assumed that server is not
> who the user intended to get to, and the connection is failed.

Makes perfect sense.

Also, these are the cPanel instructions for configuring the email client.
"Secure SSL/TLS Settings
(Recommended)
Username: 	peter@easthope.ca
Password: 	Use the email account's password.
Incoming Server: 	ccx.websitewelcome.com

    IMAP: Port 993
    POP3: Port 995

Outgoing Server: 	ccx.websitewelcome.com

    SMTP: Port 465

Authentication is required for IMAP, POP3, and SMTP."

So, to use TLS, my exim4 should connect to ccx.websitewelcome.com
and the certificate should refer to websitewelcome.com.  And that leads
to the complaint from mutt and your reply.

The cPanel page gives these instructions for in-the-clear access.
"Non-SSL Settings
(NOT Recommended)
Username: 	peter@easthope.ca
Password: 	Use the email account's password.
Incoming Server: 	mail.easthope.ca

    IMAP: Port 143
    POP3: Port 110

Outgoing Server: 	mail.easthope.ca

    SMTP: Port 25

Authentication is required for IMAP, POP3, and SMTP."

The only way I can make sense of this is that the instructions are crossed.
TLS access should be to mail.easthope.ca with appropriate certificate.
In-the-clear access should be to ccx.websitewelcome.com with no certificate.

Regards,                            ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202  http://carnot.yi.org/  New address Bcc: peter at easthope. ca