Re: "cloning" a debian installation

On 1 February 2014 09:16, Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Henning Follmann wrote:
>
>> Sorry I consider this some form of advertising.
>> This is a Debian group! This program is a windows program. So you need a
>> windows installation to use this. Sure they claim you can create a bootable
>> CD/DVD but you still need a windows installation for that.
>
> No advertisement at all. I'm a member of this debian user group and
> have wheezy installed with the kind help of other members on this
> mailing list. I'm fairly new at this and simply suggesting a clone
> software that I have used in the past.

If you like Debian and want to be part of its community, then you do
need to think more about this. Because you were promoting non-libre
gratis freeware there and that is quite rude behaviour in this forum.

That program you tried to recommend is the opposite of what Debian
users consider as "free" software. It is not "free" as in freedom
(libre) because it imposes restrictions on the freedom of its users
and competing/contributing developers. It is bait to get users hooked
on entirely non-free software and tempt users to abandon some valuable
rights, and it requires Windows which is again entirely non-free
software.

Some more explanation is at:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_Libre
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open_source_software

Debian does not exist by magic. It is the accumulation of thousands of
thousands of person-hours that have been donated to the honourable
cause of software freedom for the benefit of the community, without
seeking monetary return. If you are not able to respect that
fundamental aspect, then you will not be welcome in this community.

I hope this explanation helps you to understand this better.