Re: put gparted on minimum system, for disks over 2TB

On 01/30/2014 06:50 PM, C.T.F. Jansen wrote:
Greetings,

Tried to setup a 3TB disk using cfdisk and it failed silently. Suggest that cfdisk is updated to work with current disks; 3 and 4 TB. At least update the man page. partman is not on the production system and can't be installed, don't know if it actually works with disks over 2TB.

gparted worked but it had to be installed first, it was not on the system already. It is not on the base, minimum, system. Suggest that it be put on the minimum system since it should work with whats out there and these sizes will become more and more common.

Saw quite a few web pages by people struggling with this.

frank.jansen@actrix.gen.nz, ZL2TTS

Why not download the bootable disk of GParted or Parted Magic (which includes GParted) and you will solve the problem forever. Or at least as long as you use standard filesystems. Parted Magic has a lot of stuff on it, and I *believe* it will boot UEFI as well
as 32- and 64-bit systems. A list of programs it comes with:

File Manager                                Disk Health
Keyboard Layout                          System Profiler
Screen Layout                              Firefox
Virus Scanner                               Erase Disk
Partition Editor -- (GParted)         Disc Cloning -- (Clonezilla)

I haven't used any of these except GParted. The file manager can look at all your drives and partitions. System Profiler looks like a somewhat civilized dmidecode. Virus scanner is clamav, which you'd have to update, if it will let you. I don't dare snap on
the Erase Disk icon!

--doug