zenbook not booting after failed suspend/resume (debian/testing)

Dear all,

First of all let me state that I believe that what I am experiencing is
not necessarily a Debian problem.  I direct my questions to this list
because I expect the most relevant answers here and I have been using
Debian now for more than 10 years.

I have been using this ASUS Zenbook (UX32V) now for almost a year and
have been running Debian testing on it since with great success.  That
is, until last Saturday.  Then I did an upgrade to the most recent
testing packages.  Since kernel 3.12. suspend/resume did not work
properly (the machine froze upon resume) I rebooted right after the
upgrade and tested suspend/resume.  Still no luck on resume, machine is
frozen.

So I hit the power button.  Instead of booting, the machine goes
straight into the BIOS setup utility.  There, no EFI boot option is
available anymore.

What I did since then is:

* configure a boot option pointing to fs0:\EFI\debian\grubx64.efi:
machine still does not boot
* upgrade BIOS to the latest version: no changes
* reboot the system using the latest testing netboot image to ensure
that file system and EFI partition are OK: everything looks fine
* check the contents of pstore following [1]: empty
* install Shell.efi [2] and poke around with it:  great experience ;)
* tested setup using efibootmgr

None of the things I tried led me to a solution that would boot the
machine again.  So I am asking for help/hints/clues that would enable me
to use the zenbook again.  As I stated at the beginning, this does not
necessarily have to be the cause of a bug in Debian and/or Linux.
Still, I would like to explore every possible way and try to fix it
myself (with help that is).

[1]  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/23554.html
[2]
https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2/ShellBinPkg/UefiShell/X64/Shell.efi