Re: SFTP question

On 12/26/2014 1:51 AM, Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 09:19:49PM -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> On 12/25/2014 11:23 AM, Reco wrote:
>>>  Hi.

>>> Indeed. But the program which can be tricked to use your own library
>>> instead of a system one - is called vulnerable usually. I don't mean
>>> LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH tricks but something akin to a braindead
>>> Windows behavior (which looks for libraries in a current dir first).
>>>
>>> Reco
>>>

>> ANY program is vulnerable if care isn't taken to ensure a download
>> contains the right files.  That's why there are checksums.
>
> Ok, I can agree with that.
>

>> So according to your definition, any program - including the kernel - is
>> vulnerable to such an attack, and should be classified as such.  This is
>> true for ANY operating system - not just Windows or Linux.
>
> I disagree with you. All one needs to do is to put one single RPATH
> entry into the compiled binary by mistake, and … then you have things
> like #754278.
> Putting a malicious library at known user-writable location is one
> thing, loading a kernel module as a root (I presume that's what you've
> meant with your kernel reference) is another thing.
>
> Reco

754278 has nothing to do with substituting a .so or .dll.  It only deals
with where a program looks for binaries.

And it is perfectly possible to corrupt the kernel by substituting a .so
the kernel uses in Linux.  Nothing to do with loading a new module.

The new library will take effect the next reboot.  In this way, Windows
is much more secure because, unlike in Linux, you cannot replace an
in-use library.  It requires a bunch of gyrations and the replacement is
done on restart.

And who said anything about user-writable?  Upgrades in Debian are
performed by root or someone with root privileges.

Jerry