dpkg/status corruption question

Hi Everyone,

My /var/lib/dpkg/status file became corrupt recently, I was getting this when
trying to apt-update:

dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 27803 package 'gcr':
 field name `°[?@' must be followed by colon

I managed to correct the issue by pulling some stuff from /var/lib/dpkg/status-
old...

But, can anyone explain why the corruption (shown below) ended up containing
the name of an old wireless SSID I used to use!?

***

 GCR is a library for crypto UI and related tasks.
 .
 This package contai<9c>^@^@^@^D ÃÃJ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^F^AïE^L^@r and
prompter
^D°^D[?@^@^@^@ÿÿÿÿÿÿ<8c>ÃÃr^NÃÿÿÿÿÿÿpã^@^Nairdrawndagger^A^D^B^D^K^V2^H^L^R^X$0H`l-
^K^Salled

***

The SSID was called 'airdrawndagger', it hasn't been active for over a year
and the machine in question was clean installed after the Wireless network was
replaced with another!

Is corruption of the /var/lib/dpkg/status file normal - I've never had it
happen before now?

And does anyone have any idea how 'airdrawndagger' could have appeared there?!

Thanks : )