Re: gnome wont start

Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:09:21 -0800
Joris Bolsens <epicblood@gmail.com> écrivait :

> Hello all,

hi Joris,

> I recently ran into a problem with Gnome.
> It fails to start at all. I am able to get a working ui by using the
> startx command, and it seems like it is a gnomish environment (windows
> key brings up the Activities selected or what have you)
>
> Gnome used to work fine, however I installed KDE to try it, decided i
> dint like it, and purged it.

It is not very clear to me.
You installed KDE, you did not like it and purged Gnome ?

> Everything on google seems to recommend simply removing Gnome and using
> tasksel to reinstall Gnome from scratch, however this does not resolve
> my issue.

The simpliest way to remove something you do not want is something like:
<apt-get remove --purge kde>

> some relevant outputs:
> --
> $ sudo service gdm restart
> Warning: Unit file of gdm.service changed on disk, 'systemctl
> daemon-reload' recommended.
> Job for gdm.service failed. See 'systemctl status gdm.service' and
> 'journalctl -xn' for details.
> --
> --
> $ sudo systemctl daemon-reload
> [...]

- What is the output of
journalctl -xn
dpkg --audit

- And what is your Debian version ?
ls /etc/*rel*
cat /etc/<result-you-got>
cat /etc/os-release
apt-cache policy
apt-cache policy gnome

Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be>

PS unfortunately, there are mentions of systemd in your mail; I think it will be difficult to find useful answers in the flood you will get.