Re: USB drive mounted Read-only; what to do ?

Hi

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 05:45:33AM -0300, Renaud OLGIATI wrote:
> I plug in a USB pen drive, and launch dd  to copy an iso image.
>
> # dd bs=4M if=debian-live-7.6.0-amd64-rescue.iso of=/dev/sdi && sync
> dd: opening `/dev/sdi': Read-only file system

Read-only file system on /dev/sdi??  This is very out of the usual:
This seems to indicate that your "/dev" filesystem is read-only, and
"dd" cannot create "/dev/sdi" ...

What does:

  ls -l /dev/sdi

report?  I suspect it will say the file does not exist.

If /dev/sdi does not exist, dd will attempt to create it.  As a normal
file.  Which is probably not what you want...

Similarly, can /dev actually be written to?  The output of a command
like this would be instructive:

  touch /dev/somefile-which-doesnt-exist

> Is there a way to force it to mount read-write ?

Probably. But it depends on why it was read-only to start with...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen