Re: broken apt " -f install" wont fix what to do ?

On 12/18/14, laurent debian <laurent.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   when you have an error of apt-get
>> Préparation du dépaquetage de .../systemd-sysv_215-8_amd64.deb ...
>> Dépaquetage de systemd-sysv (215-8) sur (215-7) ...
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
>    which recommends -f install
>   which could not be fixed using it is there a kind of procedure to
> repair it  ?
> untranslated  quote:
>> Préparation du dépaquetage de .../systemd-sysv_215-8_amd64.deb ...
>> Dépaquetage de systemd-sysv (215-8) sur (215-7) ...
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hi, Laurent..

Could you paste more of what occurred just before that in the
terminal? Only know to ask that because I've seen that exact error "a
few times" myself the last couple days. You're especially looking for
words like "fail", "failed", or "invalid". I've seen all, GRIN. Here's
mine as an example:

+++++++++++++
Unpacking base-files (from .../base-files_7.1wheezy7_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up base-files (7.1wheezy7) ...
rmdir: failed to remove `/var/run': Directory not empty
dpkg: error processing base-files (--configure):
 base-files
+++++++++++++

Here's another one later the same day or earlier the day before, I
don't remember anymore, GRIN:

+++++++++++++
dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip read error: '<fd:4>:
invalid code lengths set'
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/chromium_37.0.2062.120-1~deb7u1_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
 short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during
`./usr/lib/chromium/chromium'
configured to not write apport reports

[apt-get processed a few things then said.......]

 /var/cache/apt/archives/chromium_37.0.2062.120-1~deb7u1_amd64.deb
+++++++++++++

To this "layperson", those seemed like two totally different things
reporting the same error. After getting the error in the first one, I
hit the Net in search of answers, tried some stuff, gave up, rebooted,
and boom, that particular error resolved itself. I halfway expected
rebooting to work in that case because the error *felt like* it was
saying something might be tying up resources that needed to be empty.
Reboot seemed like the quick way to shake loose the cobwebs if that
was the case, but it won't fix everything kicking back that dpkg
error. :)

Again, if you can paste more of the lines right above those you
already shared, it might provide more insight for our fellow list
members. In looking back at my own notes, really everything from the
command you entered on down to the error would potentially help
someone who's already been in your Shoes. In that second case, I was
using "apt-get -f install" myself according to my notes... :)

Good luck! :)

Cindy :)

* For the record, at some point immediately after that chromium fail,
I permanently aborted and began an entire new wheezy install from
scratch *_again_*. It's working FABULOUSLY this go-round!

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with sporks *