Re: WebRTC - was Re: no microphone in skype

On 08/12/2014, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Andreas Weber <aendu@worldwideweber.ch>
>> wrote:

>>> Firefox 34 has built-in video calls. It's called "Hello". Enabling is
>>> nicely described here if you don't see the icon:
>>>
>>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/556102/no-hello-icon-in-firefox-34
>>>

>> Thanks for the info and the link. It is helpful.
>>
>> However, my iceweasel version is 31.2.0esr-2~deb7u1 and Jessie
>> currently has 31.2.0esr-3. I see that Iceweasel 34 is only in
>> experimental. I will try your work around when it hits testing.
>>
>> raju
>
> From what I understand, from what I have found so far, the WebRTC
> thing appears to be implemented as a useable medium, in each of Google
> Chrome, Mozilla Firefox (v34) and Opera for Android (but, from what I
> have found so far, the facility in Opera, is available for only
> Android cellphones, and, not for desktop or "laptop" / "notebook"
> computers, as I have tried without success, to find how to implement
> it in Opera v26, running on a "laptop" / "notebook" computer.
>
> I think that this Web RTC thing, is something that requires further
> investigation (and, trying to find other people with whom to
> experiment in terms of trying to connect using the medium, like I did
> with Ekiga and Linphone, before I gave up on them as being unworkable)
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>  written by Douglas Adams,
>  published by Pan Books, 1992

Where I refer to Debian 7, below, it is the amd64 version.

The iceweasel that I have installed on Debian 7, apparently does not
include, in the about:config, the variable "loop.throttled" (see
http://askubuntu.com/questions/556102/no-hello-icon-in-firefox-34 )
 and so, appears to be not compatible with WebRTC.

In the version of SeaMonkey, that I have installed on Debian 7, the
same applies (I thought that I should try to do it in SeaMonkey, in
case that would work).

I can not find how to enable WebRTC in Opera, for either Debian Linux,
or for MS Windows 8.x.

I have, however, apparently managed, by following the instructions at
http://askubuntu.com/questions/556102/no-hello-icon-in-firefox-34
 to get WebRTC enabled in the version of Firefox, that is installed on
a MS Windows 8.1 system.

Thus, it appears (to me) that WebRTC is available for MS Windows 8.1,
via Firefox, but, not for Debian Linux 7 amd64.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale