Re: How is typical home computer used today?

On 09/12/2014, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 09/12/2014, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>>> In a thread titled "Re: 9p/plumber to replace D-Bus?"
>>> berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
>>> [[🔎] 3d6a00a1c8bddc88b517b4e19cc681dd@neutralite.org">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 3d6a00a1c8bddc88b517b4e19cc681dd@neutralite.org]>

>>> Exactly what is meant by "Multi-seat PC"?
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

>>> I'm working on defining a heavily customized personal
>>> installation of Debian. One of the *STRONG* underlying
>>> assumptions is the the machine would only ever be used by a
>>> specific individual. One of the underlying motivations is
>>> personally understanding the the guts of Linux.

>>> Is there any current survey of people actually use computers today?
>>> My personal usage would be email, web browsing, and some number
>>> crunching. I would explicitly avoid installing anything that
>>> would act as a server when connected to a network.
>>>

>> I believe that an appropriate response to the question of the subject
>> field, is, to reword the quote from Plato's Phaedrus, to
>> "And, what is typical, and, what is not typical?"
>
> *NO* !
> I was asking a question which has a statistical answer.
>
> Whether the OS be Windows, Linux, OSX, RSX11-M is irrelevant.
> How are home computers used?
> NOT what is the OS.

And, where, in the text that I posted, that you cited, is any
reference to operating system?

Thew question that ou asked, in the subject field for the thread, is
"How is typical home computer used today?"

So, what is your specified "typical home computer"?

It is your specification.

Why are you so unwilling to provide the detail;, of what you specify
as "typical"?

Does such an entity exist?

And, since you refer to the application of statistics, to the matter,
statistically, what is your "typical home computer"?

Is it a computer with 1.15 computer screens of 18.5 inches diagonal
measurement, with a CPU that has 1.25 cores and 1.75GB RAM, and
Windows 6.66 and a HDD of 2.775 GB capacity, with 0.325 speakers and
0.75 webcams of 0.75MP resolution?

What, exactly, is your statistically "typical home computer"?

Have you found any, yet?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale