Re: How is typical home computer used today?

Bret Busby wrote:
On 09/12/2014, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
In a thread titled "Re: 9p/plumber to replace D-Bus?"
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
[[🔎] 3d6a00a1c8bddc88b517b4e19cc681dd@neutralite.org">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 3d6a00a1c8bddc88b517b4e19cc681dd@neutralite.org]>

Le 08.12.2014 14:18, Marty a écrit :
[SNIP]
Multi-seat PC and other
anachronisms probably have to go away.

Exactly what is meant by "Multi-seat PC"?

I'm working on defining a heavily customized personal
installation of Debian. One of the *STRONG* underlying
assumptions is the the machine would only ever be used by a
specific individual. One of the underlying motivations is
personally understanding the the guts of Linux.

[snip]

About anachronism... you should read about what is the minitel*,
and then, consider thinking about how most people uses their
computers ;)

*: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel

Is there any current survey of people actually use computers today?
My personal usage would be email, web browsing, and some number
crunching. I would explicitly avoid installing anything that
would act as a server when connected to a network.

I believe that an appropriate response to the question of the subject
field, is, to reword the quote from Plato's Phaedrus, to
"And, what is typical, and, what is not typical?"

*NO* !
I was asking a question which has a statistical answer.

Whether the OS be Windows, Linux, OSX, RSX11-M is irrelevant.
How are home computers used?
NOT what is the OS.