Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On Fri 05 Dec 2014 at 13:43:32 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 12/05/2014 at 01:05 PM, Brian wrote:
>
> > On Fri 05 Dec 2014 at 09:04:14 -0800, Eduardo Nogueira wrote:
> >
> >> With init, skipping a scheduled fsck during boot was easy, you just
> >> pressed Ctrl+c, it was obvious! Today I was late for an online
> >> conference. I got home, turned on my computer, and systemd decided
> >> it was time to run fsck on my 1TB hard drive. Ok, I just skip it,
> >> right? Well, Ctrl+c does not work, ESC does not work, nothing seems
> >> to work. I Googled for an answer on my phone but nothing. So, is
> >> there a mysterious set of commands they came up with to skip an
> >> fsck or is it yet another flaw?
> >
> > "fsck.mode=skip" on the kernel command line.
>
> That lets you prevent systemd from running fsck in the first place.

True

> Unless I'm greatly misunderstanding what I've read so far, it does not
> let you cancel a systemd-initiated boot-time fsck which is already in
> progress.

True

But remember our current slogan "Linux is all about choice". One can
choose to boot with or without "fsck.mode=skip".

One could even set up two GRUB entries for the choices. An extra
keystroke or two and one get exactly what one wants. Isn't choice and
control a wonderful thing?

The OP wants, of course, to have some rescue route from having made a
bad choice. I wish it had been available when I used fdisk on the
wrong disk some time ago.