Re: Debian fork: 'Devuan', Debian without Systemd

Am Dienstag, 2. Dezember 2014, 18:47:38 schrieb Renaud OLGIATI:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 14:22:13 -0700
>
> Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It's a waste. They shouldn't have left. I'm pretty neutral about
> > > systemd as I'm only an end user but I disklike having it forced upon me
> > > this way.
> >
> > # apt-get install upstart
> > # apt-get install sysvinit-core
> > # apt-get install openrc
> > No one is forcing you to stick with systemd. The "fork" is just silly.
>
> Another way to look at it is "forward planning for the release after Jessie,
> when systemd may well become compulsory..."

Or going beyond what is offered in Debian… like making GNOME installable
without having any systemd related package installed.

I.e. making:

merkaba:~> LANG=C apt-get purge systemd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  amor analitza-common blinken cantor cantor-backend-kalgebra filelight
kaccessible kalgebra kalgebra-common kalzium kalzium-data kanagram
  kbruch kcharselect kcolorchooser kde-config-cron kde-icons-mono
kdeaccessibility kdeadmin kdeartwork kdeartwork-style
  kdeartwork-theme-window kdeartwork-wallpapers kdeedu kdeedu-kvtml-data
kdegraphics kdegraphics-mobipocket kdegraphics-strigi-analyzer
  kdegraphics-thumbnailers kdemultimedia kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing
kdetoys kdeutils kdf kgamma kgeography kgeography-data kgpg
  khangman kig kiten klettres klettres-data kmag kmousetool kmplot
kolourpaint4 kppp krdc kremotecontrol krfb kruler ksaneplugin kscd kstars
  kstars-data ksystemlog kteatime ktimer ktouch ktouch-data kturtle ktux kuser
kwordquiz libanalitza5abi1 libanalitzagui5abi1
  libanalitzaplot5abi1 libkdeedu-data libkeduvocdocument4 libkiten4abi1 marble
pairs parley parley-data plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba
  print-manager qtdeclarative4-kqtquickcharts-1 rocs step
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  colord* gvfs* gvfs-backends* gvfs-daemons* hplip* hplip-gui* k3b* k3b-i18n*
kde-full* kde-plasma-desktop* kde-plasma-netbook* kde-standard*
  libpam-systemd* libvirt-daemon-system* network-manager* packagekit*
packagekit-tools* plasma-nm* plasma-widget-networkmanagement*
  policykit-1* policykit-1-gnome* polkit-kde-1* printer-driver-postscript-hp*
systemd* systemd-ui* udisks2*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 26 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 57.9 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

work.

And well systemd-shim and cgmanager *are* installed.

But that would be the bigger work… as it needs patching of upstream projects
*or* implementing the required functionality elsewhise.

Ciao,