Re: Stale file in Debian after change of equivs package

Don Armstrong wrote:
> mad wrote:
> > I am using equivs to create simple packages with dependencies and a few
> > files.
> >
> > Now I removed one file from the equivs package and installed the
> > resulting deb file. The deb file does not contain the file but dpkg did
> > not remove the old file and says that the file belongs to the package.
> >
> > What did I do wrong?
>
> Files in /etc are usually conffiles, which are not removed on upgrade by
> default. Presumably equivs is following standard practice, and marking
> them as such unless you do work to avoid it.

Likely.  If so you can test for this by querying the package database.

  dpkg-query -W -f='${Conffiles}\n' foopackagenamehere

That will list out the files from that package along with the checksum
of it.  If you want a full dump from the system then don't specify a
package name.  But then better "page" it or grep for just what you
want.  I have 121 of them on my system from various packages.

  dpkg-query -W -f='${Conffiles}\n' | grep obsolete

Bob