Fwd: libc6-i386 vs libc6:i386 (for vpn client)

Apologies - accidentally sent to Ross only

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com>
Date: 2 December 2014 at 08:07
Subject: Re: libc6-i386 vs libc6:i386 (for vpn client)
To: Ross Boylan <rossboylan@stanfordalumni.org>

On 2 December 2014 at 06:41, Ross Boylan <rossboylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> Thanks Andrei, Scott and Curt for your help.  I was only expecting
> help on the general 32/64 bit issues, but since you asked, here are
> some details about my particular goal.
>
> I am trying to install Juniper's client 8.0 software from an rpm;
> apparently they don't have a deb (there is a deb for the 7.x).

Yes. The 7.3 for Ubuntu should work for you. If you mentioned your
Debian release I missed it.

> Ideally I would skip the GUI, though I'm not sure if that's possible.
> The usual process here is to get a secure (but non-VPN) connection
> through a GUI (i.e., a browser) and then launch the java network
> connect app.  It downloads some binaries, some of which can be invoked
> independently of the web interface.
>
> Connecting directly to our site gets the 7.1 client because the server
> is old.  According to Juniper, only 7.3 and up work with 64 bit (in
> the rather weak sense that it can be made to work--they only
> distribute 32 bit clients).  So connect to our site and download the
> java app does not seem viable (and doesn't work, though I may still
> lack some of the 32 bit pieces).
>
> Juniper tech support says the 8.x client should work with the 7.x server.

Yes.

> 2 outstanding issues are whether I should use 32 or 64 bit java--the
> (64 bit) instructions for 8.x say to used icedtea and don't mention
> the 32 bit version

As noted in my previous post:-
Use the 64-bit java, likewise the 64-bit icedtea for 64-bit Iceweasel

You may find madscientist's msjnc script useful, I haven't used it[*1]
but it has been recommended by colleagues:-
http://mad-scientist.net/welcome-to-the-lab/juniper-network-connect-vpn/
Most recent Juniper guide for 64-bit is here:-
http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB25230

> --and what I should use for a certificate file.

Go to the VPN signin page and download the CAfile (DER format) and
certfile from there -> certificate information, export certificate.
The realm will be shown on the same page

[*1]I run a 32-bit system as I use nothing that has sufficient gains
from 64-bit to overcome the slight speed disadvantage, so "it just
works" for me, and I only have to connect to very recent Junos Pulse
Appliances (now PulseSecure).

> Ross

Kind regards