Re: How to mount an iPod Touch

On 30 November 2014 at 09:37, Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/26/2014 01:05 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> 'Now' I regret not keeping the notes when I setup an iPhone rule for
>> someone last year! :/
>> This time I will.
>
> I still get no device under /dev when I plug in the iPod, but ifuse does
> seem to be successfully mounting the device.

'Should' be a /media/i$Something directory created.

All I know about ifuse is what I've read in the man page:-
http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ifuse&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+7.0+wheezy&format=html&locale=en

Is their an info page for ifuse?
What does "man -k ifuse" give?

The --debug option may provide more useful information

>  I can traverse the fs and ls
> the files just fine.  Unfortunately, rhythmbox and gtkpod now see the
> device, but they both insist that it is uninitialized and want to initialize
> it.  Since it *has* been initialized and used for several months, this would
> be a *Bad Thing*.

Unfortunately, that's only to be expected from Apple...

> From what I am seeing when I google the error it seems
> that the problem lies with the fact that Apple keeps changing the database
> format to make sure that you have to use iTunes and that the
> libimobiledevice2 that is in Wheezy is still using a much older version of
> the database.

Yes - one work-around (a bit like trimming your toes so you can fit
into cool shoes too small for your feet) is to use a udev rule to
launch a VirtualBox Windoof machine. The VM can be launched in
seamless mode and iTunes can be automagically be started. That will
require waiting a few minutes for iTunes to become available, but with
USB pass-though, it will allow you to access the full functionality of
your Apple device from your Debian device.

>  I'm not sure if libimobiledevice4 (in Jessie and Sid) is
> current enough, or if I need to wait for libimobiledevice5, which is in
> Experimental).  There is nothing in Wheezy-Backports for the library.

You 'might' be able to simply install the
Testing/Unstable/Experimental version - backports are not always
necessary to have the latest version of a Debian package. Looking at
the dependencies and their minimum versions will tell you.

> Am I interpreting this correctly, or am I way off base?

Seems correct to me. Thank you for the information.

> Marc

Kind regards