Re: Replacing systemd in Jessie

On 11/27/2014 at 11:08 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:10:23PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

>>> You mean Testing.  Jessie has not been released.
>>
>> My understanding of the way the Debian release codenames work / are
>> used is that current testing (AKA "the current testing release") is
>> codenamed jessie, and when it changes from being a testing release
>> to being the latest stable release it will still be codenamed
>> jessie, and the new testing will be - or, as the case happens to
>> be, has been - given a new codename.
>
> Yes, of course. But read a bit deeper.

I infer that you are indicating that he was stating that the fact that
"systemd cannot not be installed" in current testing does not mean that
systemd will not be able to not be installed when current testing is
released as the new stable.

One: This does not make any difference. The new stable will be jessie,
but current testing (in its current, still-not-finalized state) is also
jessie, and therefore - right at the moment - it is accurate to state
that "systemd cannot not be installed in jessie". (The same way it would
still be accurate to say "Jessie can't dance" even if Jessie is going to
be starting dance classes next month and may develop into a capable
dancer.)

Two: If I'm following the discussion correctly, A: the problem leading
to the result of "systemd cannot not be installed in jessie" is a
particular bug against debootstrap, B: a patch which fixes this bug
exists, but C: the maintainer of debootstrap has stated explicitly [1]
that he will under no circumstances consider applying that patch for
jessie at this point, and may not even consider applying it in the near
term for post-jessie. If that is the case, then there is essentially no
chance that the statement will not apply to newstable jessie just as
well as it does to current testing jessie.

[1] 20141125173133.GK6842@mraw.org - plus the surrounding thread, for
context in both directions

--
   The Wanderer