Re: ALSA - Multiple Sources...?

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 04:56:12AM -0500, hobie@rumormillnews.com wrote:

> >> Hi, Joel - Thanks. :)  Synaptic says "no" but running the dpkg -l
> >> command
> >> indicates pulseaudio 2.0.3 is present. (!)  It isn't, but there's a fair
> >> number of residual files around from some earlier install, including
> >> things like the gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio plugin and PulseAudio client
> >> libraries.  I don't _think_ there's anything there that would cause ALSA
> >> to block...?
> >
> > Would you mind just copy-pasting the output of above command?
> >
> > BTW, interpreting the output of 'dpkg -l' would be easier if one would
> > not use grep to strip the header with explanations and use only dpkg's
> > built-in pattern support, in this particular case:
> >
> >     dpkg -l '*pulseaudio*'
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andrei
> > --
>
> Thanks, Andrei - here 'tis:

> Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
> +++-==============-============-============-=================================
> ii  gstreamer0.10- 0.10.31-3+nm amd64        GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
> ii  gstreamer1.0-p 1.4.4-2      amd64        GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
> un  libsdl1.2debia <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> rc  pulseaudio     2.0-3        amd64        PulseAudio sound server
> un  pulseaudio-eso <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> un  pulseaudio-mod <none>       <none>       (no description available)
> un  pulseaudio-uti <none>       <none>       (no description available)

Okay, no pulseaudio.

This reference says you get dmix by default
for ALSA, version above 1.0.9rc2. So several
years.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/Dmix

You also want to make sure there is no asoundrc.

Probably you will get better help if you post
to Linux Audio Users mailing list.

It may help to know the output of

lspci

cat /proc/asound/cards